Role play can be interpreted in many ways, but essentially, it is learning through play. Not only does it fuel the imagination of our children but it is an extremely strong method in developing social skills. Role play can be tried out in different situations and environments, we do have a specific area for role play within Nursery but it can be said that the children use all areas of nursery for some form of role play.
Role play is vital to develop children in a number of ways, here are just some of the benefits…
- It allows children to act out scenarios and also to make sense of situations they come across in real life.
- Develops their awareness of their surroundings, as well as themselves and others around them
- Develops their communication skills and forms their use of language
- Gives them the chance to explore, experiment and even investigate
- Collaboration with others
- Helps children to learn about important topics and different cultures
- It sparks creativity and imagination
Our role play environment provides real life objects to mirror real life scenarios. We value the use of real life objects with the children this allows them to ‘map’ their vocabulary onto the actual object to ensure their appropriate use later on in their life.