Sand and water is available within both our indoor and outdoor area of Nursery. By having access within both areas allows the children the chance to build up their skills on a smaller scale inside and then they have the opportunity to take this play to a large scale in the outdoors.
Children can play in the sand and water using a variety of resources enabling them to:-
- Develop their senses.
- Explore and investigate the properties of water.
- Explore and investigate the properties on dry and wet sand.
- Experience how water moves – pouring, displacing, siphoning, pumping, trickling etc.
- Develop fine motor skills.
- Develop gross motor skills.
- Develop hand/eye co-ordination.
- Develop social skills.
- Develop observational skills.
- Develop self-help skills.
- Develop appropriate language through discussion with other children.