Enjoying books and reading stories from a very early age is crucial in the development of children. It helps with their ability to understand words, use their imagination and develop their speech, as well as being something they really enjoy.
Here are just a few ways that we aim to foster a life long love of books at Beechdale within our environment and setting:
- baskets of books can be found in all areas of the environment not just our reading snug. These books link to the learning that is intended within each area and the interests that might be happening
- The opportunity to act out stories using our drama stage area
- use puppets and toys to recreate stories
- share stories and have them available for the children during breakfast club, lunch club and after school club
- Book of the moment – this is a key text that might be linked to a particular time of the year or interest that the children have. We listen to this story ‘again and again’, we do activities linked specifically to the story, we share the story with our parents/families and we might even act out the story…
- We send books home on a regular basis as part of our ‘home library’ service
- We have regular visits to the local library
- our children have an excellent ‘reading diet’ having the ability to enjoy fiction, non-fiction books, poems, rhymes, comics, signs and letters
- our staff are very skilled at story telling and do this on a daily basis within group time sessions.
Images to follow showing our reading snug…..