We believe that inclusive education means supporting all pupils to learn, contribute and participate in all aspects of school life alongside their peers. We follow the Early Years Foundation Stage which includes a range of additional opportunities to enrich the experiences of our children. Our curriculum also includes the social aspects that are essential for life-long learning, personal growth and development of independence.
At times and when it is felt appropriate, modifications to the curriculum may be implemented. To successfully match pupil ability to the curriculum there are some actions we may take to achieve this:
- Help all pupils achieve to the best of their abilities, despite any difficulty or disability they may have.
- Modify language presented to children by using visual prompts so instructions can be easily understood.
- Provide visual timetables to children so daily routines can be understood.
- Modify the curriculum/provision to meet individual needs, for example using additional resources to support joining in with group activities or quiet spaces to support listening and attention.
- Ensure that teaching staff are aware of and sensitive to the needs of all pupils, through sharing good practice in staff meeting times and regular recall and review meetings.
- Offer additional resources/facilities to develop children’s interests and aptitudes and gain maximum access to the curriculum at an appropriate level.
- To make suitable provision for children with SEND to fully develop their abilities, interests and aptitudes and gain maximum access to the curriculum. Children with high needs can be provided with their own box of resources for example a sensory box to support sensory or emotional needs.
We understand that children learn and develop in different ways. Teachers and Teaching Assistants nursery nurses recognise this and use different teaching styles, resources and plan different levels of work in the nursery to cater for the various ways children learn.
More details on how we adapt information, our environment and curriculum can be found in the Accessibility Plan which you ca find in the School Policies section of our website.